Community centre update – construction has commenced!
Construction has commenced on the largest community centre within the City of Hume!
The new $12.9 million community centre in Merrifield, supported by the Victorian Government, has been designed as a multi-purpose facility to accommodate a variety of services, programs and activities that are well integrated with other local infrastructure, such as new active spaces, playing fields and schools.
The precinct will also include the Merrifield West Primary School (interim name), scheduled to open early 2021, as well as a catholic primary school and state government secondary school.
Mayor of Hume, Councillor Carly Moore said the new community centre is expected to be complete by mid-2021 and will play a significant role in the development of a well-connected, growing community.
“Merrifield North Community Centre will provide a vibrant space for the Mickleham community to be inspired, engaged and encouraged to grow, connect and share at all stages of their lives”
Mayor of Hume City, Councillor Carly Moore
Conveniently located on the corner of St Georges Boulevard and Blackmore Road, residents will soon have access to:
- Maternal and child health services including ‘Babies in Hume’ program
- Visiting specialist services including early intervention, early years/family services
- Preschool, kindergarten and playgrounds
- Children enrichment programs
- Immunisation services
- Youth programs and activities
- Social and community programs and activities
- Arts and cultural programs
- Health and wellbeing programs
- Learning and training programs
- Social support programs and activities for older adults
Cr Moore said creating flexible community spaces where activities and events can take place in the local community is a priority to meet the diverse needs of the community.
“The new Merrifield North Community Centre will be a versatile and practical facility for families and the entire community,” Cr Moore added.
The facility will be supported by 113 on-site car parking spaces, including 4 accessible (disabled) car spaces.